GATE Exam 2022 – All About GATE Exam – GATE Online Coaching – Daniel Hub Academy
What is GATE Exam?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE Exam) is a computer based test (CBT) jointly conducted by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and other seven Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) at Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Guwahati, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee on behalf of National Coordination Board (NCB) GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India. GATE exam is a National level test that examines the understanding of various engineering topics.
The GATE exam was started in 1984 and is held once every year, usually in first and second week in February and the results are declared approximately in the third week of March (after 40 days). Students who seek to get an admission in post graduate programmes and jobs in PSUs can give GATE Exam.
There are 660 Designated Centres available where students can appear for GATE Examination in India. However, for the last few years GATE Exam has been opened for International Students as well like, Bangladesh, Shri Lanka, Nepal, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Benefits of GATE Exam
GATE scores enable students open the door to take admission in various prestigious PG programmes in IITs and IISc. Not only that, GATE scores also help to get good PSU jobs.
- GATE Exam is helpful for taking part in different Fellowship programme, like research centres. This Fellowship Programmes provides stipend ranging between 35,000 to 40,000 per month.
- GATE Exam score is also helpful if students want to take an admission in Foreign Universities like, Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), National University of Singapore (Singapore), Technical University of Munich (Germany) and Aachen University (Germany) etc.
- Students who seek to work with MNCs can also appear for GATE exam so that, score of the exam helps them to get a job in well-known MNCs.
GATE Exam 2022 Highlight
|Exam||GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|Level of Exam||All India Level|
|Conducting Authority||7 IITs and IISc, Bangalore on Rotational basis|
(IIT Bombay for GATE 2022)
|Official website||gate.iitb.ac.in (for GATE 2022)|
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based Mode|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours (180 Minutes)|
|Number of Papers||27 Papers (ES and XH are newly added subjects)|
|Total Marks||100 (65 questions)|
|Number of Test Takers||More than 8 Lakh|
What’s new in GATE Exam 2022?
- Eligibility Criteria for appearing in GATE exam 2022 has been relaxed to minimum 10+2+3 (ongoing), enhancing the third-year students of undergraduate studies to appear for GATE 2022 examination.
- All Test Papers of GATE 2022 will be entirely objective type. Pattern of questions may include:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ),
- Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- Two new subjects – Environmental Science and Engineering (ES) and Humanities and Social Science (XH) has been added. The total number of subjects in GATE 2022 is now increased to 27.
- Students applying for GATE 2022 can also opt for two subject papers from the prescribed set of combinations.
GATE 2022 Important Dates
Candidates must check important date schedule for GATE Exam 2022 so as to get themselves updated with important updates and notifications regarding GATE Exam:
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||14th September, 2021||Monday|
|Closing of submission of application form||30th September 2021||Wednesday|
|Last Date of Extended period for Online Registration Application|
(With Late Fees)
|7th October, 2021||Wednesday|
|Last date for requesting a change of examination city (an additional|
fee will be applicable)
|13th November 2021||Friday|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing)||8th January 2022||Friday|
|GATE 2022 Examination||5 th February, 2022|
6 th February, 2022
7 th February, 2022
12 th February, 2022
13 th February, 2022
14 th February, 2022
|Announcement of Result||22nd March 2022||Monday|
GATE Eligibility Criteria
It is important to check before starting an application for GATE exam whether candidates meet the eligibility criteria or not. Every Year few modifications in eligibility criteria take place.
- As per the new criteria, the minimum qualification required for candidates is 10+2+3.
- Previous candidates could apply for only 1 subject/paper. However, this year onwards candidates can opt for 2 subjects/papers from the prescribed form of combinations.
- There is no minimum or maximum age limit for appearing in the GATE Exam.
- Foreign students from Nepal, Bangladesh, Shri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates (UAE) along with Indian Students can also appear for GATE Entrance Exam.
- Candidates passed/ appearing Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Arts/ Commerce or Post Graduation in relevant discipline are now also considered as eligible applicants
- There is no minimum percentage required to appear for the Exam. Similarly, there is no prescribed attempt limit, candidates who matches all the eligibility criteria can apply for the same.
GATE Eligibility Criteria for International Students
International Candidates who are appearing for GATE 2022, should match following criteria:
- Must have completed or in the final year or in the pre-final year of their bachelor’s degree in engineering and technology or;
- Must have completed or in the final year or in the pre-final year of their Post Graduate degree in any relevant science subject
- Required Documents:
- If a candidate has already passed (in 2021 or earlier) one of the qualifying examinations mentioned above, they have to submit the degree certificate/provisional certificate/course completion certificate issued by the institute.
- If the candidate is in the final year of any of the qualifying examinations mentioned above, then they have to upload a Certificate from the Head of the Department/Institute.
GATE Exam Syllabus
Every GATE exam preparation starts with GATE Exam syllabus. If students do not have any idea about exam syllabus, then it will not possible to prepare for GATE exam. It will help in deciding what topics to cover and what to not. All the candidates must go through the syllabus well to have a basic understanding of it. This will help in preparation and also to get a good score.
GATE Syllabus varies on the basis of the subjects chosen by candidates; however, General Aptitude is the section which remains common for all the papers. This section of General Aptitude comprises 15% marks, whereas 85% marks would be comprised by the core subjects.
GATE 2022 will be conducted for 29 papers. The table shows the list of papers with codes. Please click the link in Paper/Code to download the syllabus.
A candidate is allowed to appear either in ONE or UP TO TWO papers of the GATE 2022 examination. However, a candidate is only allowed to select the second paper from the pre-defined Two Paper Combination list.
GATE Exam Pattern
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Subjects|
|Number of Questions||65 No. of Questions of Maximum 100 Marks.General Aptitude : 10 QEngineering Maths+ Core Subjects : 55 Q|
|Total Marks||100 MarksEngineering Maths : 13 Marks (Approx.)General Aptitude : 15 MarksCore Subjects : 72 Marks (Approx.)|
|Questions Type||There will be three question types:Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions|
|Number of sections||GATE 2022 question paper will comprise of total 3 sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA papers :|
1) General Aptitude (GA)
2) Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry)
3) Subject – Specific section
|General Aptitude Section||The GATE paper will also consist of a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section constituting of 10 questions.5 Questions will carry 1 mark.5 questions will carry 2 marks each.Therefore, the total marks for this section will be 15 marks.|
|Marking Scheme||MCQs carrying 1 mark each– 1/3 mark will be cut for every wrong answer.|
MCQs carrying 2 marks – 2/3 mark will be cut for every incorrect response.
* There is no negative marking for Multiple Select Question (MSQ)
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions.
GATE Paper Codes
Students appearing for GATE Exam 2022 are required to know Subject Paper and codes of it. This is very important as once GATE application form has been submitted; one cannot change subject papers thereafter.
So, one should certainly have an idea about different paper/subject codes.
GATE Exam Paper codes of Main streams:
|Computer Science and Engineering||CS|
|Electronics and Communication||EC|
Other important papers with subject codes:
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Biotechnology||BT||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Environmental Science and Engineering||ES|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG||Humanities and Social Sciences||XH|
GATE 2022 Admission Process
GATE admission process starts from filling the application form to participate in counselling process. In between this, candidates are required to fulfil other criteria. Candidates should have idea about Gate Admission process which is as follow:
1. Filling GATE 2022 Application Form: First step is to fill Application form for GATE 2022. Those who are appearing for GATE Exam, first required to register themselves for exam. Candidates can fill the application form from the official website.
2. Download GATE 2022 Admit Card: After registration, candidates are required to download their Admit Card. However, Admit Card release date is yet to be announced.
3. Appear for GATE Exam 2022: As per the subject chosen, candidates have to appear in the exam. GATE 2022 schedule for the exam will be released along with the brochure for the exam.
4. GATE 2022 result declaration: IIT Bombay will announce the GATE 2022 result in the month of March. The result will comprise candidates’ marks, normalised score and rank.
5. Participate in GATE 2022 counselling process: The counselling will be conducted for the candidates to choose the college and branch of their choice.
How to fill GATE Application Form?
GATE 2022 application form will be released in September, 2021. Candidates who wish to take admission in IITs/IISc or other institute can register themselves by filling GATE 2022 application form.
GATE Exam Fees
|FOR EXAMINATION CENTERS IN INDIA||APPLICATION FEE||DURING THE EXTENDED PERIOD|
|Female candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|For Examination Centres outside India (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
GATE Financial Assistance (Scholarship)
Institutions supported by the MHRD and other Government Agencies provide GATE financial assistance. Students seeking for a financial assistance, require to appear for GATE Exam. Candidate with good GATE score in GATE Exam can get benefits of this Financial Assistance/ Fellowship.
In order to get a financial assistance, candidates must check eligibility criteria first. This is how they can get/secure seats for master studies in institutes. For M.Tech students this GATE Financial Assistance is provided for 2 years on the semester basis, whereas for PhD students maximum 5 years of assistance is provided. An amount of ₹12,400/month is provided to M.Tech Students, whereas, stipend of ₹25,000/month for upto 2 years is provided to PhD students. However, additional assistantships in the form of scholarship may be available through other organization, like CSIR, DAE, etc.
GATE Scores (GATE Result)
GATE Results announced in 3rd week of March, on the official websites of GOPAS. Candidates who appeared for the exam can check the result online on this website. The candidates who have qualified in the GATE Exam, have an access of downloading score-card. This score-card is valid for only three years from the date of result declaration.
GATE Score Card consist of following details mentioned on it:
- Candidate’s Name
- Registration Number of the Candidate
- GATE Question Paper and Paper Code
- Candidate’s obtained GATE Score
- GATE Cut-off Marks
- Candidate’s Photograph and Signature
- GATE Result along with GATE Score Card
- GATE Score (on a scale of 1000)
- GATE Marks (Out of 100)
- Qualifying marks for General/OBC/SC/ST/PwD Categories
- Number of candidates appeared in GATE Examination
Both Marks as well as GATE score is released because
- Marks tells the candidates about his performance in his question paper
- GATE Score is generalized score across different sets of question papers. Example, Because of the huge number of GATE Aspirants, Mechanical Engineering (ME) GATE Paper is divided into 3-4 time slots of students each of which get different sets of question papers. Since the difficulty level might vary across different set of questions, the organizing body releases GATE score to compare the students in different time slots with different papers.
How to download GATE Result/Score Card?
- Visit the official website then go to the results page and click on GATE Result.
- By clicking there, GOAPS portal for GATE would appear.
- Fill in the login details on the portal. Click on the submit tab.
- GOAPS candidate dashboard for GATE would open.
- Click on the results section.
- Your GATE Result will be displayed on the screen.
How to Prepare for GATE 2022?
It is advisable to get fully prepared before appearing for GATE Exam. And for doing that you must have proper schedule, updated syllabus and exam pattern. Following are some tips, one can follow for preparing for GATE Exam:
1. Start Early
2. Get thorough with the syllabus and exam pattern
3. Know the weightage of a strong subject
4. Build a concrete study plan
5. Use reference books too
6. Focus on Engineering Mathematics and Aptitude Test
8. Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy and Worry Less
Frequently Asked Questions
For how many papers, a candidate can apply in GATE 2022?
A candidate can apply for only two (2) of the 27 papers listed in the GATE 2022 Information Brochure or GATE website. A candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. However, a candidate is free to choose any other paper according to his/her admission plan.
Is a candidate allowed to change his/her GATE Examination Paper or GATE Examination City after submission of the application?
YES. A request for the change of GATE Examination Paper will be entertained against payment. A specific date for the same will be notified by conducting authority.
What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Candidates can only carry Admit Card, Identification Card, and a pen inside the examination hall.
Is there any age limit for applying for GATE 2022? Are there any criteria regarding nationality of candidate?
A. No, there is no age limit for applying for GATE 2022. Further, candidates from other countries as well can apply for GATE 2022. Check GATE 2022 eligibility criteria.
1 thought on “GATE Exam 2022 – All About GATE Exam – GATE Online Coaching”